In 2016 we ran a young filmmakers’ short film competition, open to anyone aged 18 or under regardless of ability or experience, called Emerging Talent. We would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who made and submitted a film. There was a fantastic variety and a span of ages from 9 to 17 years old.
- Sara Bennett: Visual effects supervisor for The Martian and Oscar-winner for Ex Machina
- Nick Goldsmith: Producer of Hitchhikers’ Guide to the Galaxy
- Richard Roberts: Set decorator for Star Wars
- Russell Maclean: Producer of the Meerkat adverts
- Annabel Alison: Award-winning film writer/director
What did the judges look for?
Although a certain degree of technical ability was important, the judges also looked for one or more of the following:
- Idea: Have you had an interesting and original idea?
- Characters: Have you created believable and interesting characters?
- Story: Does your film tell the story well and keep your audience watching?
- Soundtrack: If you closed your eyes would the soundtrack be just as interesting? Music, dialogue and sound effects all add to the experience.
- Style: Is there something about your film which makes it feel different? For instance, camera angles, lighting and editing can all set the mood.
- Age of filmmaker: This is important as we want to celebrate talent across all ages from Y5 to Y13. Judges will take your age into account when they view your film.